At Xero, we’re not only addressing today’s challenges, but we’re also taking steps to build the future. We’re proud of the contributions our accounting and bookkeeping partners have made in the small business community and want to extend their impact even further. That’s why we’re pleased to announce the launch of the Xero Forward Fund.
If you missed our announcement at Xerocon San Diego last year, we created this $30,000 scholarship fund to support the next generation of accountants. We believe in our community and its role in shaping the future of accounting, so we’re asking our partners to help nominate three students who will each receive a $10,000 scholarship. The three winning students’ nominating firms will also receive $10,000 in marketing funds.
Let’s work together to make a positive impact in your communities by helping to push an aspiring student forward. We need your help in finding the best applicants for these funds and encourage you to participate.
How partner firms can register
Whether you’re a bookkeeper, accountant, sole proprietor, or large firm, any current Xero partner in the U.S. can participate. Please note that a firm can nominate up to five students, but only one student per partner firm may win. Registration deadline is February 19, 2020.
Student entry process
Once the partner registration period ends, any student who would like to apply on a partner firm’s behalf will be able to do so on our Forward Fund page starting on March 9. Applicants must be accounting students in the US attending an undergrad or graduate program.
To apply, students will need to complete the following steps:
- Find a Xero accounting firm to nominate you: Each student entry must be nominated by a Xero partner in their same state. You can find one by filling out this form here.
- Register on our Forward Fund page: Once you have a firm to nominate you, submit the form at the bottom of the page to begin your Forward Fund student entry.
- Create your entry as a video or essay: Your entry should answer the questions, “Why are you pursuing a career in accounting? AND “How do you think accounting will evolve in the future?” Demonstrate how you value small business success and show it in a short video under one minute or a 200 word essay.
- Submit your entry: Submit your content by the deadline on April 20 and check back when the winners are announced on May 12.
How to win
When the voting period ends, Xero will select three firms and three students to receive the scholarship. Judges will use three Xero values: #human, #beautiful, and #ownership, as criteria to select the winners.
A few tips on what we’re looking for in your submissions:
- Show your authentic self
- Incorporate your personal story
- Bring creativity
- Demonstrate how you value small business success
- Use licensed music or video clips
- Show brand names or logos
- Use profanity or offensive language
After the submission period closes, Xero will select the three winning entries and announce the winning students and their nominating firms on May 12, 2020. Three students will receive $10,000 USD as a scholarship fund that they can apply to their tuition or any other costs associated with their degree. Each student’s nominating partner firm will also receive $10,000 USD in co-marketing funds, purchased by Xero, on behalf of the firms.
- Student Entry: March 9 – April 20
- Winners Announced: May 12