It’s been a big year for reporting at Xero. We released a stack of exciting new features, introduced some brand new reports, and announced that we’re retiring the older versions of reports on 31 July 2023 at 6am NZST. As the deadline to switch gets closer, it’s a good time to reflect on what we’ve delivered and give you a sneak peek at what’s coming next.
|We are retiring old reports on 31 July 2023 at 6am NZST. In some time zones, this will mean that old reports will not be available from 30 July 2023. We urge you to start moving your work across now, so you have plenty of time to get used to them before the older versions are retired.|
The biggest reporting releases this year
This year, we’ve been able to deliver an average of three new features a month — a pace unheard of a couple of years ago, when we had yet to start the latest upgrade of our technology.
When prioritising work, we listened carefully to longstanding feature requests, votes in Xero Product Ideas and suggestions from our partner communities. Some of the highlights include:
- new features like the ability to add notes, switch to compact view, and enjoy sticky horizontal and vertical headers as you scroll
- beautiful visualisations, including charts in Top Customers and Top Vendors reports, and variance columns with red and green arrows
- new reports, including the Management report pack with a new Executive Summary report, as well as Top Suppliers (Top Vendors in the US), Top Customers, Quotes, Purchase Orders, and Customer Credit Limit reports
- more enhancements including better comparison periods, one-click access to custom reports and common formats, automatic grouping of account codes, and changes to the way dates are displayed in tracking columns
- a new tool to help you bring saved layouts across to new versions of Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Budget Variance reports
More reporting features on the way
We know there’s so much more you want to see in reports. The good news? There are plenty of features that we’re working on now that we can’t wait to deliver to you soon.
We’re adding to our extensive range of reports, with new versions of the General Ledger Summary, General Ledger Detail, and Journal reports on the way.
Our new Bank Reconciliation report pack is also on the way in the coming weeks. You’ll be able to add reports from the pack to the new Management report pack (or your own custom report pack), as well as choose which columns to display in your reports.
Other updates coming soon include:
- the addition of the Cash Summary report to report templates in Xero HQ
- the ability to set global preferences for all reports in your organisation
- the option to show original currency amounts in transactional-style reports
- removing tracking columns that don’t display any data from your reports
- changing the way you use ‘Current’ columns in our Aged reports
Once we wrap up that work, we’ll get started on some new reports and enhancements we know you’ve been waiting for. These include:
- brand new Current Financial Year by Month, Bank Summary, and General Ledger – Exceptions reports
- translating Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Budget Variance reports into foreign currency
- filtering tracking categories and comparing them side-by-side, without going into the layout editor
- using a budget selector in the Budget Variance report, without going into the layout editor
After that, we’ll turn our focus to creating Tracking Summary, Budget Summary, and improved Foreign Currency Gains and Losses reports.
What to expect after 31 July 2023
You’ll have access to older versions of our reports until they are retired on 31 July 2023 at 6am NZST. But there are some reports that won’t be retired on this date, as we are upgrading them in a different way or at a later date. Here are the reports and features that won’t be retired on 31 July 2023 at 6am NZST:
- Budget Manager
- Business Activity Statement/GST/VAT/Sales Tax Return and Reconciliation reports
- Expense Claim Summary report
- Pay Run Summary and Pay Run by Employee, Pay Item and Pay Type reports (global organisations only)
- Reporting API
It’s time to make the switch
The best way to make sure you’re prepared for the retirement of older reports is to start moving your work across now. We’re here to support you during the transition in a number of ways, including:
- our layout importer tool in Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Budget Variance reports, which helps you bring saved layouts across to new versions
- product tours in some of our most used reports, which guide you through the new layouts and settings
- a tips and tricks panel in our most used reports, with support articles, how-to videos and a feedback button that will send your thoughts and ideas directly to our product team
- listening to your Xero Product Ideas and giving you a hand when you need support in Xero Central
We know our suite of reports are one of the reasons you love Xero so much, and we’re proud of what we’ve achieved so far. We’re confident that the continuous changes we’re making will help us reach our vision of being the most insightful and trusted small business platform.